Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Excuse me?

Sometimes entries just write themselves.

I was reading the New York Times this morning online, as I so often do, trying to wake up and be useful, when I happened upon a story about odd road signs in England, and this photo:


I was now fully awake.

The story http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/world/europe/23crapstone.html?_r=1&em went on to examine, as it were, a number of quirky and suggestive place names in the British Isles, including Titty Ho, North Piddle, Crapstone, and Penistone. My inner eight-year-old started to giggle.

It seems most of these names date back to when words had different meanings than they do currently. I could have written a serious post on the evolution of language, but the eight-year-old wouldn't let me.

Butt Hole, it turns out, probably referred to a well. Not nearly as much fun now, is it? Damn reason. Gets in the way of all the best stories.

So I got to thinking about Canada's equivalent, and of course, Dildo, Newfoundland popped into my head. It is not terribly far from the trio of Heart's Delight, Heart's Desire, and Heart's Content, which run down the Bay Roberts coast within about 20 kilometres of each other. (I drove through them last year and they are lovely, if wee.) But of course these three aren't nearly as salacious and provocative.

I'm asking all nine of you who read this blog - can you think of any other risque Canadian place names? We have lots of quirky ones, like Moose Jaw, but are there any other Butt Holes, Dildos, or Penistones out there in Canada? Post your comment below.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Dildo wins, of course, but we've also got Come By Chance, Blow Me Down, and Cow Head.

Bay D'Espoir is near Harbour Breton, where I lived for a few years. The locals pronounce it "Bay Despair". I'd just moved there from Quebec and nobody understood why I thought this was funny.

Glen said...

May I offer the following fun place names in Saskatchewan:

Big Beaver

Fairy Glen (I've actually been there)

Nut Mountain

and Kandahar (I've been there too!)

Karen said...

Glen!!!!

You're back! We've missed you.