Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Here comes the meme again...

And I am told I am supposed to tell you six random things about me. And provide the sixth photo of the sixth photo folder in my iPhotos. Meming. Hmmm. All these sixes must mean memes are Satanic.

OK. Photo first. This is part of a series of photos I took one June day in 2005 while I was at a friend's cabin not far from Name of Town Withheld. We were crossing the lake by barge when I noticed an Arctic Tern hopping around on a small island in the middle of the lake, calling to its mate. I had just clicked off a couple of frames when the mate appeared with a tiny fish. In the frames that follow this one, the fisher hands the fish off to the other, and takes off again, while this one hops off, presumably to the nest to feed its young (which I couldn't see). It was total serendipity, but I was lucky I had the camera set to six frames per second, or I would have missed the whole thing.


Now, six random things about me:

1. My eyes seem to change color if I am standing near water or on a very green lawn.

2. I am on my third career and not entirely convinced this is the last one for me.

3. I hate clearing rain gutters.

4. I have one leg 3/4 of an inch longer than the other, but I can never remember which leg is longer and which is shorter when I take pants in to be hemmed.

5. I once served 15 straight points to win a volleyball game.

6. I have been snubbed by the Queen.

Random enough for you, Megan?

2 comments:

Megan said...

We want to hear the story about being snubbed by the queen!

Karen said...

It's a far sexier one line remark than full story. Back in 1994, the Queen was doing a Northern tour. I was a working reporter at the time, fully accredited with the badge, security-checked, the whole bit. The Queen was moving around Name of Town Withheld, and the press pool (about 35 of us, with all the national types) were being moved with her all day.

So we get to the lakeside park by City Hall and there is a wide array of teepees and the like, and people demonstrating aboriginal lifestyle skills like bannock making, and hide tanning. And she is clearly enjoying herself, she asking a lot of questions of participants, and really taking her time.

The Queen is a gracious woman. she likes to make a sweep of an event and pay attention to every single person. So she's made her way around the park, and sees a group of us off to the side (we were literally penned in like farm animals). She smiles and walks towards us with the Premier of the day, gets maybe 10 feet away, sees our press badges, turns abruptly on her heel, and strides away.

So out of the many, many people in the park that afternoon, only the 35 reporters didn't get to speak to the Queen directly.

BUT - I did get an excellent closeup shot of her and the Premier that made a magazine cover (my only cover shot in my whole career), and which made my mother, the only Quebecoise monarchist, incredibly happy.