Friday, April 16, 2010

Only in Canada

When I travel, I like to look for the quirky things that other people might not notice, or comment upon.

I am overnighting in Edmonton on my way to Buenos Aires tommorrow (well, actually, I only arrive Sunday afternoon, but I don't know how to describe a flight that crosses into a second day - is there a word for that?)

I got here around supper time. I checked into my hotel, Varscona on Whyte. For those of you unfamiliar with Edmonton, Whyte Avenue is the hip place to be, where all the fashionable young things in five inch silver lame heels totter down the sidewalks between $14 martinis. The neighbourhood is full of trendy nightspots, overpriced restaurants, and fantastically odd shops. But there are still holdouts from before the gentrification, and those juxtapositions make walking around a lot of fun. Antique shops, funky bookstores, tattered banks cheek-by-jowl with yoga stores and cigar shops. And a bar named Filthy McNasty's. Classy and the not so much, side-by-side.

I was skirting around, looking for a place to eat that would not sneer at my jeans and hiking boots when I suddenly realized I was approaching a crowd of bikers. Not the Tour de France kind, the chopper kind. A large crowd, probably 55 or 60 of them, both sexes, clad head to foot in black leather. A couple of the older guys were chatting quite aimiably with a pair of City beat cops off near a parking meter. As I got closer, I could see probably 40 tricked out bikes parked neatly side by side in an off road parking lot. Obviously, they were making plans for an excellent Friday night to enjoy the nice spring weather (21 degrees, sunny). Nobody looked particularly threatening, so I kept walking towards them - they were between me and the hotel, after all.

And then I realized almost every single one of them had a cup in their hand. A brown paper cup. They were milling about in a Tim Horton's parking lot.

You can't make stuff like this up.

No comments: